Resource Management

Engineering Division

Planning Division

Joint Planning Commission


Solid Waste Recycling

Stormwater Management

Help the Hinkson


Annual Reports

Search Building Permits

Planning Division

Home PZ Commission Board of Adjustment Forms

Looking for our regulations? Click here.


The Planning Department provides planning and development services to the unincorporated areas of Boone County.  It is responsible for all land use requests which come in the form of requests for changes in zoning, conditional use permits, subdivision plats, and requests for variance from the regulations. Planning staff maintains and interprets the county zoning map, provides support to the Planning and Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and the County Commission.  Staff also investigates zoning complaints.


In 1985, the Planning Division worked with the Joint Communications Center, GTE, Boone Electric Cooperative and The Columbia Daily Tribune in assigning 911 addresses to all of the existing residences in Boone County.  That file continues to be maintained. Every home is addressed and added to the file whenever a building permit application is processed.

The Planning Division annually issues mobile home park licenses and provides representatives to the County Road and Bridge Advisory Committee, the Solid Waste Committee, and the On-Site Sewer Board of Review.  

We strongly recommend that you meet with staff prior to submitting an application. Understanding the process and requirements of the proposed request can save the applicant time and money and could result in a more positive outcome.


Online Information Resource

Request for Changes in Zoning

Conditional Use Permit

Subdivision Plats

Variance from the Regulations *EFFECTIVE 11/30/2017 - OLDER VERSIONS OF THIS FORM WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED. Please read carefully and complete in full.

Zoning Complaints

Rental/Landlord Complaints

CATSO Major Roadway Plan

Applications can be found under Forms


This page is for informational purposes only

Please contact the Planning Department for information in cases where legal reliance of information is required.

Any questions?  Feel free to contact us:

to the Boone County News email list.

Questions or Comments? Email Resource Management

www.ShowMeBoone.com Boone County, Missouri. 801 East Walnut Columbia, MO 65201 USA