Statement of Non-Assessment Information

In order to obtain a current vehicle registration or renew license plates from the Missouri Department of Revenue, you must present a personal property tax receipt or certificate of non-assessment for the prior year to the license office.

A non-assessment is issued to a county resident when no personal property tax was assessed for the prior year. This certificate is used in lieu of a paid personal property tax receipt when registering a vehicle or renewing license plates. No fee is charged for a certificate of non-assessment.

Obtaining a Certificate of Non-Assessment

To obtain a certificate of non-assessment, contact the Assessor's office.

Qualifying Circumstances

Certificates of non-assessment may be issued in the following circumstances:

  • You are new to Missouri
  • You are a former resident returning to Missouri and no unpaid personal property taxes are owed in Boone or any other Missouri County
  • This is the first vehicle you have owned
  • You are exempt from personal property taxes (individuals or organizations who are determined tax exempt by the state), i.e., churches and most non-profit and charitable organizations

Documentation Required

Documentation of the following information, such as a title (front and back), bill of sale, application for Missouri title, or out of state registration, must be provided:

  • Your name
  • Current address
  • Year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), and date of purchase of the vehicle(s) to be registered.