Marriage License Filing Requirements in Boone County, Missouri

The 1st Party and 2nd Party must:

  • Visit our office *TOGETHER to apply for a marriage license.
  • Be 18 years of age or over.
  • Present a valid government issued ID in English and provide Social Security number.
  • Pay $51.00 at the time of application (Sorry, no checks). (Credit/Debit service fee $1.55)
  • Provide name and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.
  • Pick up and give the license to the person performing the ceremony before the wedding.
  • Have a ceremony performed within 30 days from the date of issuance in the State of Missouri. If the wedding date is more than 30 days from the date of application, they must wait to pick up the license.
  • NOT be related to each other through and including first cousins.

* If Either Party is unable to appear in the Recorder’s Office to apply, due to Military Service, ADA Qualifying Disability or Incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Applicant may be provided.

If the 1st Party and/or 2nd Party are under 18, their custodial parent must come with them to give consent to the application. A $1.00 additional fee must be paid at the time of application for each parental consent.

Lost, Destroyed, or Unused Marriage License

If the license is lost, destroyed or not used, the parties must return to the Recorder’s office to sign an affidavit.

Return and Record of Marriage

The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Boone County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days of the ceremony.


Copies are available as soon as the marriage license has been recorded in our office.

  • Plain copy$1.00
  • Certified copy$9.00
  • Military PurposesNo Charge

More Information

For more information regarding:

  • Marriage licenses(573) 886-4350
  • Civil ceremonies performed by a Boone County Circuit Judge(573) 886-4050

Consumer Notice

After your ceremony, if you are contacted by a business offering government services for a fee, such as name changes for social security purposes, please contact the government agency regarding the procedures. Dealing directly with the government offices generally will not involve any cost.