Zoning Complaints

The Planning Department Staff investigates zoning complaints and attempts to achieve compliance with the requirements in the regulations. When a complaint is received, a site inspection is conducted and report prepared. Initial contact is made with the property owner, including an explanation of the zoning regulations, and a time period to resolve the violation. If the violation is not corrected in the given time period (usually 30 days, unless health or safety concerns exist) the complaint can be turned over to the Prosecuting Attorney.

There are other offices in Boone County that handles different complaint issues.

Some examples of the complaints our office takes are for the following:

  • Junk vehicles
  • Junk/Trash
  • Illegal businesses
  • Building without a permit
  • Rental/​Landlord complaints (please read the "Rental/​Landlord Complaints" section below for further information before lodging a rental complaint)

When you make a complaint, be sure to include as much information as possible including property owner name, property address, and a description of the alleged violation. Other helpful information includes tax parcel number, landmarks, etc. Please note that the more information we have regarding the property you are reporting will aid our staff locating the property.

To lodge a complaint, please use our online zoning complaint form. Please keep in mind that if you make a complaint using this system or using email, a copy of the correspondence will be kept on file in which case your complaint would not be anonymous. If you wish to remain anonymous you may call our office at (573) 886-4330.

Rental/​Landlord Complaints

Boone County does not have standards or regulations for rental properties. If the problem is a health issue you may contact the Boone County Health Department at (573) 874-7346. If there is a fire hazard you may contact the Boone County Fire Marshal at (573) 447-5000 to see if they can help.

Most issues between a renter and landlord are civil matters however there are statewide Landlord - Tenant Laws through the Missouri Revised Statutes Sections 441(Landlord and Tenant) and 535 (Landlord -Tenant Actions). You may also check the State of Missouri Attorney General's Office website for further information.