Permits and Inspections


Resource Management now requires a digital and paper submittal of the
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).

County Permits

Land Disturbance Permit $150

A Land Disturbance Permit is necessary for any activity disturbing one acre or more of land. In environmentally sensitive areas, such as those with sinkholes, caves, losing streams, wetlands, etc., the land disturbance threshold is lowered to 3,000 square feet.

Stormwater Discharge Permit $50

A Stormwater Discharge Permit is required when constructing, altering, or reconstructing drainage facility(s).

Do not clear or grade any site until you confirm that all required permits and approvals have been obtained. Please contact Boone County Resource Management to set up a Pre-Application Meeting to discuss stormwater and land disturbance requirements that may apply. Non-stormwater related permits may also be required.

State Permits and Federal Permits

MoDNR Land Disturbance Permit

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources requires a land disturbance permit when disturbing one acre or more of land by clearing, grading, or excavating.

If any portion of a  common plan of development is sold to a developer for commercial, industrial, or residential use, the new owner must obtain a state permit prior to conducting any land disturbance activity, regardless of the size of disturbance.

For disturbances less than one acre, contact the e-DMR/e-Permitting Hotline at 573-526-2082 for assistance. No permit is required for less than one acre of disturbance if a portion of the common plan of development is sold to an individual for the purpose of building his/her own private residence.

Boone County Building permit applications for developer owned lots in common plans of development will not be accepted until proof of a State land disturbance permit is submitted. Documentation must include the State permit number, the permit holder name and address, the facility (development) name and location, and the permit expiration date. Acceptable proof can be shown on a mobile phone, electronically, or paper copy if it includes the required information.


Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) Section 404 Permit (changes made to a waterway or its banks)

Under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, any discharge of fill material caused by dredging, dumping, construction, filling, excavation, or other modifications within "Waters of the U.S." will need a permit from the ACOE. This includes work that takes place in, under, or over water or wetlands adjacent to "Waters of the U.S." such as the Missouri River. Waters of the U.S. include rivers, creeks, streams, ditches, lakes, ponds, and wetlands. You may need a permit to work on your own property.

For other permits, visit Resource Management.

Inspection Procedures

Permittee Inspections

The permittee (or a representative of the permittee) will conduct regularly scheduled inspections at least once per seven (7) calendar days. Additionally, an inspection must be completed within 48 hours after any storm event more significant than 3.5 inches within 24 hours, during a normal workday. The inspection must be completed within 72 hours if the rain event ceases during a non-work day such as a weekend or holiday. (This is the person designated in the SWPPP as responsible for environmental matters).

Inspect all installed Best Management Practices (BMPs) and other pollution control measures for proper installation, operation and maintenance. Inspect all stormwater outfalls for evidence of erosion or sediment deposition.

Any structural or maintenance problem(s) must be noted in an inspection report and corrected within seven (7) calendar days of the inspection. Retain copies of the inspection reports on-site.

County Inspections

Boone County Resource Management inspection staff will periodically inspect your development site to ensure the SWPPP is properly implemented and any necessary amendments are being made. The erosion and sediment control measures for the site must be maintained by the developer until the site is stabilized.

The building inspectors will inspect the BMPs on-site during scheduled inspections. If BMPs are not being maintained, the inspection will be denied.

Issues with erosion and sediment control measures should be corrected within seven (7) calendar days. Extensions may be granted.