This is an entry-level position. Applicants for this position are required to attend an applicable law enforcement training academy to gain POST approved peace officer licensure. This position is eligible for promotion to Deputy Sheriff upon successful completion of a POST academy. Applicants who do not successfully complete academy training may be released from employment. Applicants for the Deputy Sheriff Trainee position must successfully complete all phases of the selection process. If successful, the applicant will be registered by the Boone County Sheriff's Department with an approved academy after signing a contractual agreement. Applicants who take it upon themselves to register with an academy before being selected for scholarship funds will be responsible for all costs associated with the academy.
Full Time, Benefited
Work hours will be dictated by academy course of instruction, but may include days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Possess a valid operator's license at time of application and a valid Missouri operator's license at time of appointment.
• Type a minimum of 35 wpm.
• Visual acuity of at least 20/200 correctable to 20/20 in both eyes.
• Pass a physical fitness test, medical examination, and a pre-employment drug screen prior to appointment.
• Meet qualifications to attend a POST certified law enforcement training academy, selected by the Boone County Sheriff Department.
• Successfully complete the Peace Officer Standard Training (POST) academy, obtain a class A or B Missouri Peace Officer License.
• Must reside in Boone County (by the end of field training).
• No felony convictions.
• Have not pled guilty to or any other criminal convictions in the past 2 years, excluding traffic violations.
• No marijuana use or possession in the past 2 years and no other illegal drug use or possession in the past 5 years.
• No employee, while on duty, shall have visible tattoos, body brandings', body, facial or tongue piercing jewelry except for traditional ear piercings for female employees. Ear lobe stretching (also known as 'gauging') is prohibited.
• Uniformed personnel whose tattoos extend below a short-sleeve uniform shirt, must wear the long-sleeve uniform shirt. Flesh-tone wraps, sleeves, band-aids, chemical covers and products such as Hide-Ink are prohibited as an alternative to coverage by clothing or uniform.
• Applicant must meet minimum qualifications set forth by the FBI and MSHP CJIS Security policy.
Applicant must submit a signed Authorization to Release Information, pass an on-line typing test (net 35 wpm), Military Release (Sheriff Department), Request for Tax Transcript (Sheriff Department).
Applications will be accepted until the posting is removed.