Prosecuting Attorney,
Daniel K. Knight

Bad Check Unit

Child Support Unit

Traffic Division

Victim Services

Restitution Payments

Victim Services

Home Victim Response Team FAQs Contact Nondiscrimination Statement Related Links Restitution Victim Impact Statement Victim Services Survey Change Your Address Local Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How are filing decisions made?
    First, the crime needs to be reported to law enforcement. Law enforcement officers will investigate the case and if they feel there is sufficient evidence they will send the investigative materials to our office. The prosecutor assigned to the case will then review the investigative materials and determine whether or not to file charges.

    If you have questions about the status of your case, please call 573-886-4100 and a crime victim advocate will answer your questions.
  2. What if someone threatens me to drop the charges?
    If anyone has threatened you in connection with the criminal case or pressured you to drop charges, contact law enforcement immediately. In addition, you should contact the prosecuting attorney’s office to provide this information. The individual responsible for such conduct could possibly be charged with additional crimes including victim/witness tampering.
  3. What if the defense attorney or someone from that office contacts me about the case?
    An attorney who represents the defendant or an investigator working on behalf of the defendant may attempt to discuss the case with you. You may speak with them if you choose, however, you may also choose to refuse to speak with them or request that an attorney from the prosecuting attorney's office be present during any discussion.
  4. How long will it take before the case is resolved?
    Misdemeanor cases will often take months to resolve and felony cases might take up to a year or more to resolve.
  5. Should I be concerned if months pass without hearing from the court or the prosecuting attorney’s office?
    Given the large number of pending criminal cases, it may not be possible to keep you informed of every court date. Please realize that we are continuing to work on your case even if you haven't heard from us. Please do not hesitate to contact the Victim Response Team or the prosecutor assigned to your case if you have any questions or concerns.
  6. Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim of crime?
    Your insurance company may provide coverage for your personal injury or property loss due to a crime. Also, the court may order the defendant to pay restitution to compensate you for your injuries, damages, or loss. In some circumstances it may not be possible to collect restitution. The Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund may cover certain out of pocket losses as a result of personal injury or death. You may also consider filing a civil lawsuit to recover damages.

Any questions?  Feel free to contact us:

to the Boone County News email list.

Questions or Comments? Email Prosecuting Attorney

www.ShowMeBoone.com Boone County, Missouri. 801 East Walnut Columbia, MO 65201 USA